Bulgaria's Suicide Rate 'among Highest in Europe' - Experts
Bulgaria's suicide rate is among the highest in Europe, local experts alarmed on Monday.
Speaking at a conference in the Black Sea city of Burgas, psychologists named poverty and stress as the main reasons behind the suicide wave that shocked the Balkan country recently.
The psychologists urged Bulgarian citizens to seek professional help whenever they start feeling depressed, noting that Bulgarians rarely turn to psychologists for help.
Last Monday, a nationwide suicide prevention campaign was launched in EU's poorest member state.
A total of six people set themselves on fire in EU's poorest member state over the last month. Four of them passed away.
In addition to self-immolation, a suicide wave seems to have invaded Bulgaria with daily reports about people hanging themselves, jumping for bridges and high-story buildings, and throwing themselves under trains, among others.
- » Today Bulgaria honors the Memory of the Dead Doctors and Medics
- » Yemen Cholera Epidemic: Cases Exceed 500,000 in 4 Months
- » Emergency Number 112 Will not be Left Without a Communication System
- » Former Hospital Director Admitted he did not Have Diploma
- » Dutch Police Arrested 2 Company directors Due To the Egg Scandal
- » West Nile Mosquito Fever Kills Two People in Greece
It is NOT amongst the highest in Europe. This is smoke being blown by a group of people seeking attention. It is bad, but not as bad as THEY say.
Per 100,000 population:
1 Greenland 108.1
2 Belgium 53.5
4 Lithuania 31.6
9 Slovenia 21.8
10 Hungary 21.7
15 Croatia 19.7
16 Serbia and Montenegro 19.5
17 Estonia 18.1
18 Latvia 17.5
20 Finland 16.8
23 Poland 15.4
24 France 15
29 Austria 12.8
30 Czech Republic 12.8
32 Bulgaria 12.3