Number of Births in Bulgaria Plunges to Lowest Level Since 1946
The number of births in Bulgaria in 2013 plunged to 61 561, the lowest rate since 1946.
According to data of the National Statistical Institute (NSI), as cited by Pressa daily, a total of 69 678 babies were born in Bulgaria in 2012.
However, data of the electronic register of Bulgaria's Health Ministry indicates that a total of 64 012 babies were born in the period January 1, 2012 - January 1, 2013.
In 2010, a total of 75 513 babies were born in Bulgaria, compared to 80 956 in 2009, and 64 125 in the crisis-stricken 1997.
According to national statistics, the highest number of births, a total of 182 571, was recorded in 1950.
In 2013, a total of 14 413 babies were born in Sofia, compared to 6786 in Plovdiv, and 4649 in Varna.
The lowest numbers of births were registered in Vidin, at 498, in Razgrad, at 534, and in Gabrovo, at 588.
"The demographic collapse is already too weak a description of the problem with the declining birth rate, we are in a state of catastrophe," said doctor Antonia Grigorova, organizer of the Baby of the Year contest, in an interview for private TV station bTV.
- » Specially Equipped Team to Enter Site of Explosion in NW Bulgaria
- » Explosion-Hit Explosives Plant in NW Bulgaria Functioned Despite Numerous Penalty Notices
- » Blast at Explosives Plant Likely Due To Human Error - Ammo Expert
- » Up to 15 Feared Dead in Wednesday Blast at Bulgarian Explosives Plant
- » Blast at Explosives Factory in NW Bulgaria Cuts Off Power Supply to 2 Hydropower Plants
- » Fire Safety Service Holds Emergency Meeting over Blast at Explosives Factory in NW Bulgaria