Christmas in Jail for Bulgaria's Olympic Champ Boevski
Bulgaria's former Olympic weightlifting champion Galabin Boevski, who was detained in Brazil and charged with drug trafficking offenses, will not be allowed to go on house arrest for Christmas.
His Brazilian lawyer Leonardo Pereira has sent a nearly 70-page petition to the magistrates from the court in Sao Paulo, but it will be reviewed as late as in January.
Bulgaria's former Olympic weightlifting champion Galabin Boevski, allegedly recruited as a mule to smuggle cocaine from Brazil to Western Europe, faces 15 years in jail if convicted of drug charges.
Boevski, who was detained at the end of October in Brazil and accused of carrying nine kilos of cocaine in his luggage, was officially charged last week with drug trafficking offenses. The world known champion heard his indictment via a video conference call from the prison he is staying at.
He will have the chance to voice his objections against the charges in ten days.
The defense is determined to press for Boevski's extradition and eventual trial in Bulgaria, citing the International Convention on Psychotropic Substances, which the two countries have signed and which has supremacy over state laws.
The lawyer's statement clashes with the opinion of Bulgarian high-ranking officials, who have ruled out the extradition of Galabin Boevski to his home country, saying there is no prisoner transfer agreement between Bulgaria and Brazil.
The 36-year-old Boevski won the gold medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics in the 152-pound category. He was banned for eight years by the International Weightlifting Federation for doping in 2004.
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain Three Dutch Citizens Suspected of Terrorism
- » Bulgaria Refuses to Extradite Len Homeniuk to Kyrgyzstan
- » Ex Chair of Varna Administrative Court Conclusively Convicted in Bribery Case
- » Bulgarian Police Detain 30 Illegal Migrants in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Railway Workers Find Abandoned Bag with 2.8kg of TNT near Tracks
- » Bulgarian Customs Seize 42 Kg Heroin Hidden in Truck’s Wheels