EC Approves Funding for Sofia Subway Expansion Project
The European Commission has approved the funding of Stage III of the project for the expansion of the Sofia subway network, according to reports of Bulgaria's Ministry of Transport, Information Technology, and Communications.
The project includes the subway line from Tsarigradsko Shose Blvd to Sofia Airport and the section connecting the Mladost-1 residential district to Business Park Sofia.
The expansion of the subway network in Bulgaria's capital is funded under Operational Program Transport via the European Regional Development Fund.
The total cost of the project amounts to nearly EUR 240 M, of which BGN 136 M are granted under OP Transport, with state-owned company Metropoliten EAD, the operator of the Sofia subway, as the beneficiary.
The project is to create seven subway stations and over 300 jobs.
The construction of the subway section from Tsarigradsko Shose Blvd to Sofia Airport started in end-November, while the construction of the stretch connecting Mladost-1 to Business Park Sofia is to begin in a few months' time.
The new subway sections are to be launched in the spring of 2015.
- » Bulgaria's Deputy PM Calls on EU to Reform Policies on Refugees
- » EU Parliament Approves EUR 6.4 M in Flood Aid to Bulgaria
- » Decision on Schengen Bids of Bulgaria, Romania, Postponed Yet Again
- » Bulgaria to Receive EUR 6.4 M in Flood Damage Aid from EU Solidarity Fund
- » Bulgaria Moves to Align Its Refugee Legislation with EU Law
- » Bulgaria’s CIBANK, EIF Sign Deal to Provide EUR 100 M to SMEs