Sofia Moves to Ratify EU Treaty
Addressing the prime minister, cabinet members, MPs and religious leaders, Parliament speaker Borislav Velikov said that this day would be a landmark in the Bulgarian history.
"The ratification of the Treaty is the most crucial legislative act since the 1991 inauguration of the Constitution," Velikov said.
The ratification would need the vote of two-thirds of the MPs in order to be successful.
The bill for it was submitted during Tuesday's session by Prime Minister Simeon Saxe-Coburg.
Bulgaria hopes to become a full member of the EU on January 1, 2007. The country shares its target date with neighbour Romania.
- » Bulgaria Needs to Focus Efforts on Completing Motorway Ring – Minister
- » Bulgaria Raises Retirement Age as Part of Pension Reform
- » New Operational Program in Bulgaria to Improve SME’s Access to External Financing
- » Bulgaria Sets Up Animal Police Service
- » Bulgaria Granted Citizenship to 808 Foreign Nationals in 2013 - Eurostat
- » Bulgaria MP Committee Passes Questions in Voting Rules Referendum