Sofia Moves to Ratify EU Treaty
Addressing the prime minister, cabinet members, MPs and religious leaders, Parliament speaker Borislav Velikov said that this day would be a landmark in the Bulgarian history.
"The ratification of the Treaty is the most crucial legislative act since the 1991 inauguration of the Constitution," Velikov said.
The ratification would need the vote of two-thirds of the MPs in order to be successful.
The bill for it was submitted during Tuesday's session by Prime Minister Simeon Saxe-Coburg.
Bulgaria hopes to become a full member of the EU on January 1, 2007. The country shares its target date with neighbour Romania.
- » Kosovo President Receives Bulgaria's Ambassador for Farewell Visit
- » Bulgaria Asked to Give EUR 7 M More for EU's 2015 Budget
- » Bulgaria Applies for Flood Damage Aid from EUSF
- » President Plevleniev: Bulgaria Can Meet EU's Renewables Target
- » Plovdiv Mayor Signs Contract for BGN 30 M Loan from EBRD
- » GERB Meets BSP Friday in Second Round of Coalition Talks