Sofia Moves to Ratify EU Treaty
Addressing the prime minister, cabinet members, MPs and religious leaders, Parliament speaker Borislav Velikov said that this day would be a landmark in the Bulgarian history.
"The ratification of the Treaty is the most crucial legislative act since the 1991 inauguration of the Constitution," Velikov said.
The ratification would need the vote of two-thirds of the MPs in order to be successful.
The bill for it was submitted during Tuesday's session by Prime Minister Simeon Saxe-Coburg.
Bulgaria hopes to become a full member of the EU on January 1, 2007. The country shares its target date with neighbour Romania.
- » Bulgarian Dairy Farmers to Stage National Protest, Block Road
- » Ex-Foreign Min Warns against Bulgaria's Harsh Tone on Russia
- » Bulgaria's Neynski 'In Talks over Turkey Mission'
- » Foreign Ministry Has No Info about Bulgarian Officials Being Denied US Visas
- » Bulgaria to Launch New Fighter Jet Acquisition Process by End-June
- » Five Bulgarian Regions among EU’s Ten Poorest in 2013