Missing Bulgarian Girl Found Dead
The missing 18-year-old girl from the town of Pernik, near Bulgaria's capital, has been found dead, a heartbreaking turn for the relatives who cherished hopes to find her alive for whole two months.
Doctors said Miroslava Nikolova was murdered shortly after she went missing.
No further details were immediately available.
The teenager disappeared on November 7, 2011 and has been missing ever since. On the fatal day the girl went to her regular taekwondo training and never went back home. Friends said she was in good spirits while in the hall and there were no signs of the tragedy that unfolded later on.
A week ago Miroslava's sister Eleanora told bTV channel that the two had one telephone conversation. Miroslava managed to tell her sister that she was kidnapped and policemen were involved in the crime. The kidnappers however never called to set their conditions.
Authorities suspected the girl may have been trafficked aboard as a white slave. Some assumed that she may have fallen in love with someone who is part of a scheme for human trafficking and voluntarily fled the country.
Many locals were inclined to believe that the missing girl ran away from home, a speculation her sister has dismissed as "ridiculous".
Miroslava left her home without documents or money.
- » 2 Bulgarian Tourists To Be Tried in Greece for Picking Up Refugee Hitchhikers
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain Five Suspected Terrorists at Border with Macedonia
- » Suspect in Murder of British Expat Janette Bennett in Bulgaria Hangs Himself
- » Former Centerra Gold CEO Homeniuk Set for Extradition Hearing in Bulgaria
- » Suspected Virginia Gunman Released Racially-Charged Letter
- » Bulgarian National Rosen Ivanov Found Dead in London