Report: Croatia Closes EU Talks 2010, Turkey Needs More Efforts
Croatia should be able to complete its EU accession negotiations in 2010 but Turkey will have to put in a lot more efforts in order to join the EU.
These conclusions are contained in the annual EU report on the accession progress of the two countries, as cited by BGNES. The report is supposed to be made public on October 14, 2009.
It criticizes both countries currently negotiating for EU membership over corruption and organized crime, and states that they would have to do a lot before they could join the Union.
Croatia may be able to complete the accession talks in 2010 if it manages to meet all deadlines. The report does not say when Croatia will join the EU but experts are quoted as saying this might happen in 2012.
Croatia’s EU talks were frozen for about a year as Slovenia imposed a veto over a border dispute that it lifted only recently.
- » The IMF Supports Bulgaria's Efforts to Enter the Eurozone Waiting Room
- » Prime Minister Borisov will Participate in the Regular European Council Meeting
- » Bulgaria has One of the Strongest Employment Growth Rates in the EU for the Quarter
- » Bulgaria is Among the EU Countries with the Highest Number of Old Aircraft
- » Kristalina Georgieva: I Expect Bulgaria to Enter the Eurozone Waiting Room Next Year
- » Bulgarian PM: EU integration of the Western Balkans Would be Among the Priorities of the Bulgarian Presidency of the EU