Ukrainian Govt Denies Joining Russia's Customs Union
Ukrainian Prime Minister Mykola Azarov has firmly denied his country was preparing documents for joining the Customs Union led by Russia.
Azarov, cited by the Focus news agency, has stated that he wanted to immediately stop and prevent further speculations that Ukraine was negotiating with Russia and was preparing the accession documentation, adding he assumed full responsibility for his words.
Speaking Wednesday during a meeting of his government, the PM explained that many documents are being prepared for the upcoming bilateral talks with Russia later this month, but the Customs Union ones were not among them.
The decision of the Ukrainian government to withdraw from a free-trade deal with the EU last month sparked huge street rallies. Demonstrations are continuing in the capital Kiev amidst strong clashes with riot police Berkut.
- » Putin Warns Russians Internet Is 'CIA Project'
- » Kosovo Extends EULEX Mission, Creates War Crimes Court
- » Serbian Parliament 'Complete', Govt to Be Announced Saturday
- » Deaths Reported in Ukraine's Slaviansk Operation
- » No Breakthrough in US-Japan Trade Deal
- » Afghan Hospital Guard Kills 3 American Medics