Germany Speaks Up Against Military Intervention in Syria
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has stated that the civil war in Syria must be resolved with political means, opposing suggestions for international military intervention.
In a statement Sunday, Germany's government has supported Russia's position for a political and diplomatic solution, implicitly opposing a steeped up rhetoric by the US and Britain.
Western countries have sought a more active position after reports of a use of chemical weapons this week, allegedly by forces of Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad.
- » Ukrainian Govt Denies Joining Russia's Customs Union
- » Kiev Riot Police Withdraws, Attempt to Oust Protesters Fails
- » Ashton Witnesses Kiev Clashes, Impressed by Ukrainians' Firmness
- » More Clashes in Kiev, Protesters Fire Icy Water at Police
- » Nelson Mandela Body Arrives in Pretoria
- » Ukrainian Police Push Out Protesters Overnight