Stoichkov to Be Interrogated over His Match-Fixing Accusations
Hristo Stoichkov is to be questioned by Bulgarian authorities over his recent statements that games have been rigged in the country's football league, local media have confirmed.
Bulgaria's Chief Directorate for Combatting Organized Crime wants the former Barcelona forward to shed more light on his statements that the Bulgarian state and the Bulgarian Football Union have failed to stop the illegal activities going on in the country's football championship.
In September, Stoichkov, who is currently coaching the team of Litex Lovech, stated that Bulgarian Football Union president and is former Bulgarian national squad teammate Borislav Mihaylov has been among the officials involved in gambling related match-fixing.
"The questioning of Hristo Stoichkov is a normal procedure after such statements," Bulgarian Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov has commented.
Club owners and referees are also expected to be questioned as part of the large-scale investigation into match-fixing launched by Bulgarian authorities.
- » Hard win for Bulgarian volleyball team after five-set battle
- » Expected loss for Bulgaria from Brazil
- » World Famous Footballers Arrive in Sofia for All Stars 2017 Charity Match
- » Bulgaria Scores Prestigious Victory Against Olympix Champion Brazil in World Volleyball League
- » Bulgarian Children Who Overcame Cancer Won 17 Medals at Athletic Event in Moscow
- » Ivet Lalova-Collio Places 4th in Marseilles