Bulgaria's Best Swimmer Petar Stoychev - King of the Lac
Bulgaria's top swimmer Petar Stoychev triumphed with an unprecedented victory at the Travers?e Internationale du Lac Memphr?magog in Magog, Canada on Sunday.
The Bulgarian managed to overtake the frontrunner Ian Van der Hulst of the Netherlands to win his sensational 11th straight Travers?e.
"We managed to achieve what we wanted in Canada. I dedicate my victory to all Bulgarians," said Stoychev.
"I scored two victories in two marathons and I am already a leader in the standings for the World Cup. If I manage to triumph in Macedonia in a few days, I will hold once again the world cup," he added.
Stoychev, already known as the most successful professional marathon swimmer in history, was followed by Dutch Van der Hulst. Trent Grimsey of Australia came in third, Simon Tobin of Canada was fourth and Xavier Desharnais of Canada was fifth.
A the end of July Stoychev, who is turning 35 in October, made headlines worldwide after defeating his competitors at the world water sports competition in Shanghai, China, while the race itself attracted criticism because the water temperature exceeded the safety standards at 30.4 degrees Celsius.
The best Bulgarian male swimmer swam the 25 km distance in 5 hours 10 minutes and 39.8 seconds, just several days after he remained 27th in the 10 km open water race.
- » Hard win for Bulgarian volleyball team after five-set battle
- » Expected loss for Bulgaria from Brazil
- » World Famous Footballers Arrive in Sofia for All Stars 2017 Charity Match
- » Bulgaria Scores Prestigious Victory Against Olympix Champion Brazil in World Volleyball League
- » Bulgarian Children Who Overcame Cancer Won 17 Medals at Athletic Event in Moscow
- » Ivet Lalova-Collio Places 4th in Marseilles