Up to 200 out of 700 Houses in Flood-Hit Mizia Are Still Inhabitable
150 to 200 out of a total of 700 houses in the flood-hit northwestern town of Mizia are inhabitable, according to Mayor Violin Krushovenski.
Mizia was stricken by a flood wave in early August. The floods claimed two lives and caused substantial material damage. The cause of the flooding is still being investigated as local authorities are inspecting the nearby dams.
Krushovenski, as cited by the Focus news agency, announced Saturday that the inspection of the damage caused to residential buildings continued and the conclusive number of houses which had to be fortified or demolished would be clear by Wednesday.
Nikolay Nekovski, Deputy Mayor of Mizia, said that the recovery activities were progressing slowly due to the lack of equipments and volunteers.
He said that the most pressing need was for trucks, dumpers and excavators.
Nekovski also noted that the current number of volunteers amounted to around 50 and urged people to join the recovery activities, stressing that any allegations of an epidemic spreading in the area were false.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Scattered Clouds and Max Temp Between 18°-23°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Max Temp Between 17°-22°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Max Temp Between 16°-21°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Few Clouds and Mostly Sunny Today with Max Temp 15°-20°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: A Decrease of Clouds and Rain with Max Temp Between 13°-18°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Rain in Some Places, Max Temp 11°-16° C