9 Bulgarian Footballers Remain in Jail for Illegal Betting
Nine of the twelve arrested football players from two teams in the Black Sea city of Burgas remain behind bars.
The information was reported Friday by the spokesperson of the Burgas Prosecutor's Office
Two of the nine are believed to be the ringleaders, and they have already been charged. The others will be probed in separate pre-trail proceedings.
Both ringleaders are 26-years-old; one is a former football player, the other one is a current competitor.
The bets ranged between BGN 300 and BGN 500 and were sent via short text messages (sms). They were for games from championships abroad, and the detainees have not played for any of these teams.
The ringleaders face up to six years behind bars, while the accessories – up to one year and fines.
According to the Prosecutor's Office's latest update, 8 of the players were from Burgas's A-league Chernomorets football club, with the remaining 4 were from the second-tier Neftohimik.
- » Two People Threatened a MP from the Bulgarian Socialist Party with a Gun
- » A Hungarian Court Sentenced Three Bulgarians for Human Trafficking
- » 8 Bulgarians Raped a 13-year-old Girl in Germany
- » Drugs Distribution Group in Pleven and Lovech was Busted
- » The Owner of a Large Bulgarian Dairy Company was Arrested for Tax Fraud
- » Hostage Situation in Paris, Suspect Arrested after 4 Hours