Bulgarian Police Nab 12 Footballers for Illegal Betting
Police in major Bulgarian city of Burgas has arrested 12 football players from two local teams on suspicions of being involved in match fixing and organizing of illegal sports gambling.
This was revealed Thursday by Bulgarian Minister of Interior Tsvetan Tsvetanov during a visit to another part of the country, the south-western city of Blagoevgrad.
"We are doing the so-called Christmas cleaning, so we are a bit more focused on certain operations," said Tsvetanov.
According to Bulgaria's top cop, 6 of the players are from Burgas's A-league Chernomorets football club, with the remaining 6 from the second-tier Neftohimik.
Tsvetanov, who has frequently acted as the police and prosecution's mouthpiece, said it is probable that charges will be levied right away against four of the detained players.
- » Prosecutor Office to Reveal Details of the Case with the Detained Policemen in Rakovski
- » Policemen were Arrested in Rakovski
- » Kidnapped Salvadorian Journalist was Found Dead
- » Two People were Detained in London on Suspicion of Preparing an Attack
- » Police Kill Man Attacking Bakery Workers in Germany
- » Five People were Killed in a Bomb Explosion during a Soccer Match in Somalia