Iraq: At Least 15 Killed and 200 Injured in Clashes in Baghdad
Fierce clashes continue in Baghdad's Green Zone. At least 15 supporters of Muqtada Sadr have already died, the Associated Press reported, citing authorities. Over 200 people were injured in the clashes.
The influential Shiite cleric announced yesterday that he was withdrawing from Iraqi politics. This provoked hundreds of his angry supporters to storm the government building in the heavily guarded complex in the center of the capital.
Muqtada Sadr has announced a hunger strike until the violence ends.
The Iraqi army imposed a nationwide curfew.
Today's Tuesday will be a non-working day.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres calls for restraint and calming the situation.
The White House expressed concern about the clashes.
Kuwait urged its citizens to leave Iraq.
Muqtada Sadr enjoys widespread support for his opposition to American and Iranian influence in Iraq. He was the winner of last October's elections but in June withdrew its MPs from parliament after failing to form a government.
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 284 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US Intelligence expects a "Slowdown" of the War
- » US Senator thanks Musk for standing up against Hate Speech by suspending Kanye West from Twitter
- » Estonia buys HIMARS from the US
- » The European Liberals declared for the simultaneous acceptance of Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia in Schengen
- » European Commission: Soon we will be able to Talk on the Phone and use the Internet during a Flight
- » Emmanuel Macron’s White House visit highlights Transatlantic Differences over China