IEA: Europe must Immediately Reduce Gas Consumption
The International Energy Agency (IEA) believes that Europe should immediately reduce its gas consumption in the conditions of the current energy crisis. This winter could turn out to be a historic test of European solidarity, said the head of the IEA, Fatih Birol.
"The first immediate step to fill Europe's gas storage to an appropriate level before winter is to reduce current gas consumption in Europe and store the saved fuel," Birol wrote in a commentary published on the IEA website.
Europe needs to cut gas consumption by 12 billion cubic meters before the start of the heating season, equivalent to 130 LNG tankers, Birol said.
Birol offers European leaders five measures to help them prepare for winter. EU governments should introduce auction platforms for industrial gas users, minimize gas use in the energy sector, improve coordination between gas and electricity operators, help reduce household electricity demand and harmonize planning in emergency situations at national and European level.
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Bulgarian-Greek Gas Connection was officially launched in Sofia (UPDATED)
- » Radev and Aliyev discussed Bulgarian Enterprises receiving Gas directly from Azerbaijan
- » Foreign Leaders will arrive in Bulgaria for the Opening Ceremony of the Interconnector with Greece
- » Europe is preparing for a Shut Down of Mobile Networks this Winter
- » The Interconnector Bulgaria-Greece secured Act 16
- » Natural Gas in Bulgaria could Drop in Price by 32 percent Soon