European Commission Summons Bulgaria’s Premier Again
The meeting of the Monitoring Group on Democracy, Fundamental Rights and the Rule of Law in the European Parliament, at which the situation in Bulgaria will once again be discussed, will take place on 8 January, MEP Elena Yoncheva wrote on her Facebook page.
"The first debate, which had to be attended by Prime Minister Boyko Borissov, was on August 28, 2020. He did not come, something that none of prime ministers have ever allowed themselves before. The group has heard out the Prime Minister of Malta, as well as the Prime Minister of Slovakia.
However, in August Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov in sent in his stead Deputy Prime Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva and other representatives of state institutions. Their hearing was not satisfactory and therefore 29 additional specific questions were sent to Bulgaria related to investigations of the prosecutor general, problems of the judiciary, freedom of the media, respect of citizens fundamental rights, etc.
The monitoring group was not satisfied with the answers of the Bulgarian representatives and invited them again to the next meeting on 8 January 2021.
The Group is a kind of "rapid response" tool of the European Parliament which has to react to suspected problems with democracy, fundamental rights and the rule of law in the Member States. Only 14 European MEPs are its members and the only representative of Bulgaria is me", Elena Yoncheva wrote.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » North Macedonia Promised to Not Allow Incidents during the Celebration of Gotse Delchev, Bulgaria with Measures against Provocateurs
- » Former PM Petkov: We are Starting the Great Unification of Democratic Communities
- » The Foreign Ministry will Demand the Access of Bulgarian Citizens to North Macedonia to be Ensured
- » A Visit of a Bulgarian Theater Production was Canceled in North Macedonia
- » Provocation after Provocation: Macedonians will Block Roads for Bulgarians Heading to Gotse Delchev's Grave
- » Referendum in Bulgaria? Ex-Showman is Gathering Signatures to Change the Republic from Parliamentary to Presidential