Etna Volcano WAKES UP!
Two fractures opened at the base of the South-East crater and on the north-eastern flank of the New South-East crater at about 3am local time (2am BST). The lava flows were accompanied by a Strombolian activity from the main craters. However nearby Catania airport remains open, reported express.co.uk.
Eugenio Privitera, director of Catania National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV) said: "We are starting a new eruptive phase of Etna which could end soon or last months.
“The phenomena are all confined to the summit area of the volcano and do not constitute a danger to inhabited centres and people, but the flow of tourists in the area must be controlled for their safety”.
The Aviation Colour Code was raised to Red at 10.21am BST on May 30.
- » Weather Forecast: Mostly Sunny and Warm Today
- » NIMH: Code Yellow for Icy Conditions in Seven Bulgarian Regions
- » Weather Forecast: Cloudy and Rainy
- » At least 11 Dead due to Heavy Rains in Brazil
- » Turkey Struck by 2 Major Earthquakes, 22 People were Killed
- » Weather Forecast: Maximum Temperatures between 6C and 11C