First LGBTI Association was Found at Sofia University
The first ever student organization for equality and fight against all forms of discrimination, intolerance and aggression in higher education is already a fact, writes the site Huge.bg
The "Student Society for Equality" aims to respond to homophobia and transphobia in the state institution and to raise awareness among students and teachers about topics related to the LGBTI community.
It will also counteract discriminatory and aggressive behavior against other vulnerable groups, including women, disadvantaged people, people from ethnic and religious minorities, and others.
The idea for the student organization was born in October last year at the Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski''. In December, the initiators met with the rector of Sofia University, Prof. Anastas Gerdzhikov, who expressed support and desire for future joint work.
During the meeting, the possibility of setting up a working group with the participation of teachers and students was considered to provide suggestions for strategies for prevention and protection against discrimination at the school. A procedure has been specified for submitting complaints to the Rector in cases of discrimination.
The first initiative of the members of the student association is a campaign for collecting information on manifestations of discrimination within the university. Students ask witnesses of such behavior to send a signal to: email@example.com
- » Police Found 6 Tons of Amphetamine at a Port in Varna, Bulgarian Seaside
- » Large Tree Fell on a Car on a Busy Street in Plovdiv
- » Hail and Rain in Lovech, Firefighters Pull up Cars
- » Another 12 Hospitals in Bulgaria Are Facing Bankruptcy, Ombudsman Maya Manolova Said
- » Counter Campaign: Publishing House Asks if we Value Gambling more than Culture (Video)
- » On 24 May Balchik Opens a Monument to Cyril and Methodius