Spanish Government Aims for January Regional Elections in Catalonia
The Spanish government has agreed with the opposition Socialists (PSOE) to hold regional elections in January in Catalonia as part of the extraordinary package of measures to temporarily impose direct rule on the region, Socialist politician Carmen Calvo said in an interview on national television on Friday, cited by Reutrers.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy will hold a special cabinet meeting on Saturday to put in motion the process to suspend Catalonia’s autonomy after regional leader Carles Puigdemont refused to drop his secession campaign.
- » PM Borisov Proposes Closing all Borders in the EU
- » Fight against Human Trafficking in Libya: EU Sanctions Six Human Traffickers and Smugglers in line with UN Decision
- » European Parliament Votes for €1 Billion in Aid to Ukraine
- » EU Budget: Commission Proposes Major Funding Increase for Stronger Borders and Migration
- » The European Commission Opens Competition for a €10 Million Prize for Low-cost Space Launch
- » Matteo Salvini and Viktor Orban form Unlikely Alliance over EU Migrants