Hurricane Irma: Florida Braces for Storm Arrival
Hurricane Irma has strengthened to a category four storm as it nears Florida, with maximum sustained winds of 130mph (209km/h), reported BBC.
Hurricane force wind gusts are battering islands in Florida's south, the governor says, with the mainland due to be hit in the coming hours.
Water levels are already rising on the coast of the US state where a huge storm surge is expected.
At least 25 people died when Irma earlier hit several Caribbean islands.
In Florida, 6.3 million people - about 30% of the state's population - had been told to evacuate. But on Saturday, the state governor said it was now too late to leave for anyone remaining.
The National Hurricane Center has issued warnings against "life-threatening" storm surges in the Florida Keys - a chain of small islands in Florida's south - as well as Tampa Bay and other coastal areas.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain Over Western Bulgaria, Sunny on the Seaside
- » Bulgaria: Second Earthquake for the Day
- » 3-Magnitute Earthquake Near Smolyan, Bulgaria
- » Orange Code for Hot Weather in 7 Districts in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: 48 Settlements Without Water, 28 Cows Die After Drinking Water from Maritsa's River
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 28: Sunny and Warm