Heating Crisis Continues in Some Sofia Neighborhoods
A number of neighborhoods remain cut off the heating grid for days in Bulgaria, capital after technical faults, amid controversy over what caused the breakdown.
Lyulin (4-5) and Nadezhda (3-6) are affected after successive breakdowns over the past 24 hours.
Eastern neighborhoods such as Mladost, Studentski Grad, Vitosha, Darvenitsa, Musagenitsa and Malinova Dolina initially saw a renewal of supply after losing access over the weekend.
But Sofia's heating utility Toplofikatsiya said supplies would have to be halted due to an "unprecedented" situation caused by a huge outage in the electricity grid.
CEZ, the electricity distribution company managing the grid in Sofia, has denied the claim.
Schools will remain closed on Thursday in the neighborhoods affected. Kindergartens, however, will use alternative power sources.
At a Thursday meeting of the Sofia Municipal Council, Sofia Mayor Yordanka Fandakova has said she will refer to the prosecution so that it looks into what caused the breakdown, daily 24 Chasa reports.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Court in Strasbourg: Bulgaria to Pay 109,000 Euros to the Roma expelled from Vojvodinovo
- » Bulgaria: Possibility of Secondary Explosion at “Arsenal” Weapons Factory, 2 Women are still Missing
- » Bulgaria: Explosions at "Arsenal" Weapons Factory in Kazanlak – Casualties reported
- » There are Regions in Bulgaria where Every Third Person is 65 or Older
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 1339 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Officially: The Population of Bulgaria is just over 6.5 million