France to Form National Guard to Help Counter Terror Attacks
French President Francois Hollande announced on Thursday the creation of a National Guard which will be tasked with protecting the citizens from terror attacks.
The National Guard would be created from France’s existing reserve forces, Hollande said.Parliamentary consultations on the formation of the National Guard would take place in September "so that this force can be created as fast as possible to protect the French", Hoillande added..
The announcement comes after a series of recent terror attacks in France, including Tuesday’s killing of a priest in Normandy and the Nice truck attack, in which 84 people were killed.
Hollande announced after the Nice attack that thousands of reservists would be called up to boost the security forces suffering from fatigue after18 months of heightened alert and terror attacks. French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Wednesday that 2,500 French citizens hadsaid they were interested and new inquiries were coming in.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » European Commission: 70% of EU Citizens Vaccinated
- » Passports for Pubs, Mandatory Shots: Europe Ramps Up Covid Fight
- » Philippines to Impose Travel Ban on Malaysia, Thailand to Prevent Delta Variant
- » France Introduces New Measures: Covid Passport to enter Cinemas, Museums, Matches
- » EC Annual Report on Bulgaria: Unlimited Powers of Prosecutor General Is still Issue
- » Russia Tests Hypersonic Missile