Bulgaria Ready to Grant Citizenship to UK Expats - PM
Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has said that Britons based in the country are "welcome" if they decide to apply for citizenship.
His comments follow Thursday's referendum in the UK in which a nearly 52-percent majority voted to leave the European Union.
"Many English people [sic!] are wondering how to go back to England now, so the problems will be for Great Britain, not for us. They will probably ask for [Bulgarian citizenship], we are open to this, they are welcome," Borisov has told reporters. Bulgarian politicians and media outlets often use England as a reference to the UK.
Around 7000 British nationals are known to reside in Bulgaria as of March 2016, according to UK Embassy data.
Many of these live outside the capital Sofia, some having chosen rural areas.
- » The Juncker Plan Will Provide Financial Assistance of BGN 10 million For 320 Micro-Enterprises in Bulgaria
- » EP Supports Accession Talks with Albania and Northern Macedonia
- » New Report: EC Reports on Bulgaria's Progress, Considers Dropping Monitoring (REVIEW)
- » Today's EC Monitoring Report on Bulgaria is Likely to be the Latest
- » The Latest Monitoring Report on Bulgaria is Expected to be Submitted Today
- » Six Countries Sign Common Document on Mobility Package