Bulgarian PM: Rise of Public Transport Fare in Sofia Is Just
Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov said on Saturday that the recent 60 % increase of the price of public transport tickets in Sofia is just.
Borisov added that each year, BGN 90 M are allocated from the government budget to public transport in Sofia.
The Bulgarian prime minister asked whether it is fair for the rest of Bulgaria that such amount of the state budget is allocated for the construction of underground and for the purchase of new models of trolleybuses and trams in Sofia.
Starting from June 1, the price of single ticket for public transport in Sofia increased from BGN 1 to BGN 1.6. The price of a batch of ten tickets increased from BGN 8 to BGN 12.
The fine for passengers traveling without ticket doubled from BGN 20 to BGN 40.
The prices of subscription cards retained their levels.
The increase came despite numerous protests of citizens in front of the municipality and the building of Sofia Urban Mobility Center, the municipal company operating public transport in the capital.
A total of 42 complaints have been filed with the court. The municipal councilors have been criticised for approving the hike without providing economic reasoning for it.
The new price has brought some problem with it as ticket machines in trolleybuses and trams do not give back change, while drivers sometimes refuse to do so and demand to be presented with the exact amount.
The old tickets can be exchanged for new ones but sometimes this is refused with the explanation that a daily limit has been reached.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria may lose 1.4 Billion Leva if the Territorial Plans for the Coal Plants are not ready
- » American Companies - in fourth place among Investors in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Fuel to Increase in Price to 3 leva while Lukoil makes 1 Billion 800 Million Excess Profit
- » January 1, 2025 - Bulgaria’s New Target Date for Entry into the Eurozone
- » Brain Business Jobs in Bulgaria Grow Strongly
- » Bulgaria is 43rd in the World in terms of Economic Freedom