Appeals Court Rejects Request to Dismiss BNB Deputy Governor
Sofia Court of Appeals has turned down the request for dismissal of Tsvetan Gounev as BNB Deputy Governor.
The ruling, which follows a similar move from the Sofia City Court, has been explained with "lack of evidence".
Magistrates at the appellate court have said the mere fact that Gunev was indicted on the eve of the developments at Corporate Commercial Bank (Corpbank or KTB) is not an evidence in itself to lead to Gunev's dismissal, the Bulgarian National Radio reports.
The Deputy Governor of the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB), for his part, has only commented on the liquidity problem at KTB, saying it was provoked by a "media campaign".
In his view, the issue cannot be resolved overnight.
"It is as if someone asked me for BGN 200 and I had just three," he has added.
The ruling cannot be appealed.
Gounev was charged with abuse of office in mid-June, days before the KTB affair began.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Growth in Bulgaria’s Gross Domestic Product
- » Asen Vassilev: Within 2 weeks Bulgaria will have a Draft Budget 2023 with a 3% Deficit
- » Over 75% of Bulgarians have Difficulty covering their Daily Expenses
- » Kristalina Georgieva: There is no significant slowdown in Lending
- » Bulgaria: Inspections of Fast Loan Companies are starting all over the country
- » Bulgaria: The Budget Committee accepted the Budget Extension