EU Extends Bulgaria's Deadline to Explain Funds Mismanagement
EU Commission has granted Bulgaria more time to give its account on the number of irregularities found in the absorption of EU funding.
After coming across flawed public procurement procedures in the agricultural sector, the Commission announced EUR 1 B (already allocated to farmers by Bulgaria's government but later reimbursed by Brussels) would have to be returned if Bulgaria does not explain the violations.
Sofia had a deadline until June 30 to conduct an inspection on procedures which was to be certified by a company entitled to do so.
However, the contract of Deloitte Audit which was formerly assigned to certify expired in January as the procurement procedure to pick a new company has been appealed.
Agriculture Minister Dimitar Grekov was quoted by the Bulgarian National Radio as saying that measures are to be taken to certify the inspections and send a formal explanation within a month.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria