Notorious Sofia City Prosecutor Demoted Through Promotion
Bulgaria's Deputy Sofia City Prosecutor Roman Vasilev has been reappointed to the Specialized Prosecutor's Office of Appeals by the Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov.
The reappointment comes into effect Monday, Bulgarian Focus News reported.
The new appointment is considered a demotion through promotion because Roman Vasilev has lost his executive position in Sofia City Prosecutor's Office.
Apart from corruption among high-level government officials, Roman Vasilev was also in charge of investigating financial and tax fraud without achieving any particular success.
Roman Vasilev was a key figure in Sofia City Prosecutor's Office in the last five years. In 2005, he became prosecutor at Sofia Prosecutor's Office, and was appointed Deputy Sofia City Prosecutor a year and a half later.
Since then, various operations most of which ended in acquittals were carried out under the personal guidance of Vasilev together with the Ministry of Interior and Bulgaria's State Agency for National Security (DANS).
Roman Vasilev became notorious after he took part in a police raid for the arrest of the former Defense Minister Nikolay Tsonev. Then Vasilev called Tsonev "an utter criminal", and was later reprimanded.
At the same time Vasilev's team carried out several operations in which transparent business interests were involved.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: New, Stricter Measures for Traffic Violators
- » 19 Canceled Flights between Bulgaria and Germany due to the Strike at German airports
- » Bulgaria: Bomb Signals were received in 10 Schools in Sofia and 15 in Burgas
- » Bulgarian Sheep Breeders: Lamb for Easter will be between BGN 25 and BGN 29 per kilogram
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 40 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » The Weather in Bulgaria will be Sunny and Windy with a sharp Cooling in the evening