300 Migrants Rescued Near Italy
Italy's navy has rescued about 300 migrants in the waters between Sicily and Libya, as the Italian government has put efforts into avoiding further shipwrecks.
A naval frigate and a patrol boat set out late on Monday when two separate migrant boats used satellite phones to call for help, an Italian navy statement has said, according to international media.
They were recovered and brought to the southern island of Lampedusa on Tuesday.
Italy has increased its patrol in the Mediterranean Sea, after recent incidents with migrant boats left hundreds dead.
Every year thousands of people, many fleeing conflict and instability in Africa and the Middle East, risk their lives in small, often decrepit vessels while trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea to European territories.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Hundreds of Dead after a Massive Earthquake in Turkey
- » Day 347 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Scholz claims Western Weapons will Not Hit Russia
- » Britain Bans Migrants from Appealing Deportation
- » US shoots down Chinese Balloon, Beijing claims this Violates International Practices
- » Day 346 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky thinks Negotiations for EU can begin This Year, Germany has Evidence of War Crimes
- » Blinken Postponed his Visit to Beijing because of the Chinese Balloon