Thousands of Bulgarians Honor Liberation Day on Shipka Peak
Thousands of Bulgarians paid homage to the Shipka National Memorial on March 3, Liberation Day.
The Shipka peak in the central Stara Planina mountain was site to some of the most fierce and pivotal battles in the Russo-Turkish war 1877-8, which lead to the liberation of Bulgaria from the Ottoman Empire.
Sunday thousands of Bulgarians traveled to Shipka by bus and with cars to commemorate the thousands of Russian, Romanian, Finnish soldiers and Bulgarian volunteers who fell for Bulgaria's freedom.
These time no officials were spotted in the crowd of mostly young people nor did they deliver speeches as the country has been shaken by weeks of protest rallies against poverty, monopolies and politicians.
- » Hockney Painting Breaks Auction Record For Living Artist
- » Cloudy Skies Today, Snow and Rain in Some Areas
- » Today We Celebrate the International Day of Tolerance
- » Snow and Icy Roads in the High Parts of Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria’s Ministry of Education Starts to Train Religious Education Teachers
- » Hockney Sells for USD 90 Million, Sets Living Artist Record