German Patriot Missiles Arrive in Turkey
German Patriot missile batteries have arrived at a port in southern Turkey Monday as part of a NATO-authorized operation to help the country defend against cross- border airstrikes from Syria.
Germans started unloading missiles at Iskenderun port in Hatay province at 07:00 a.m. (0400 GMT), which then be carried to the southern province of Kahramanmaras overland, according to Xinhua.
The deployment of six Patriot batteries, including two each from Germany and the Netherlands, is in response to Turkey's request to NATO. The forces will augment Turkey's air defense capabilities and contribute to the de-escalation of the crisis along the Alliance's border.
NATO recently approved Turkey's request for Patriot missiles to defend its border against Syria following a series of blunt warnings to Damascus not to use chemical weapons.
- » EU Looks to Screen Migrants in Africa to Stop Boatloads
- » Melania Trump Wears 'I Really don't Care do u?' Jacket on Migrant Visit
- » Russia and the UK are Running out of Beer because of the World Cup
- » The Bulgarian Presidency Drives the Debate on the Need to Further Promote Inclusive Education in Europe
- » Transparent and Predictable Working Conditions: Council Reaches General Approach
- » Eurogroup Statement on the Occasion of its 20th Anniversary
..."as part of a NATO-authorized operation to help the country defend against cross- border airstrikes from Syria"---are You serious, guys?
What on earth "defend against"?
Look, NATO' Patriots on Turkey’s Syria border actually:
(a) impose a no-fly zone for Syrian aircraft (in circumvention of the UN Security Council, btw)
(b) create a 250 kilometer-wide “umbrella for rebels" all along the Syrian-Turkish border,
(c) undermine the role of the UN and its structures (Security Council), (d) prepare floor for the Libyan Scenario in Syria...........
i.e. the real goal is not "to help Turkey" against hypothetical "airstrikes from Syria", but to eliminate Assad.