Bulgaria Moves to Seize Assets of Notorious Mafia Duo
Bulgaria's Commission for the Identification and Forfeiture of Criminal Assets has filed an action seeking to seize over BGN 4 M worth of assets from mafia bosses Plamen Galev and Angel Hristov, AKA the "Galevi btothers."
The total sum has been estimated by experts at BGN 4 250 189 (approximately EUR 2 175 000), divided almost equally between the two gangsters.
A total of nine luxurious vehicles, three of which armored, are about to be forfeited. The most expensive is an Audi A8 worth BGN 229 000.
The shares Plamen Galev has in 11 companies are to be seized, as well as the shares Angel Hristov has in 12 companies.
Luxurious estates in the Southwestern Bulgarian village of Resilovo are also expected to be seized.
The "Galevi brothers" disappeared at the beginning of May after the Bulgarian Supreme Court of Cassation finally confirmed their organized crime sentences. The two were supposed to be sent to jail for 5 and 4 years respectively.
On May 9, Galev and Hristov were issued a nationwide search warrant amidst reports they fled abroad with a huge stash of money and strong criticism on the part of the European Commission.
The search of the Bulgarian authorities ended up with no result, while in the meantime the executive and judiciary exchanged accusations for the blunder of letting the two mobsters get away.
In June, Interpol issued a Red Notice for the arrest of Galev and Hristov.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Begging and Prostitution are No Longer Crimes in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: 1-year-old Child is in Coma after being Beaten in Plovdiv
- » Bulgaria: Mother and Son were found Dead in Kyustendil
- » Bulgaria: A Municipal Councilor in Velingrad was Murdered (UPDATED)
- » Bulgaria: Two People Killed in a Fight between Families in Nova Zagora
- » The 15-year-old Bus Driver who Killed the Policemen may Receive up to 10 Years in Prison