Alleged Contract Murderers Stir Brawl at Sofia Court
The three Roma, charged with plotting and contracting three key murders, and their relatives stirred a serious brawl at the beginning of the session of the Sofia District Court.
The Court is to rule Friday evening of their measure of remand.
On Wednesday, Bulgarian police arrested three Roma kingpins on suspicions of preparing the murder of Oleg Yanev, prosecutor at the Supreme Cassation Prosecutor's Office, Hristo Varnanov AKA The Pope, Chair of the Supreme Roma Court, and Tsvetelin Kanchev, leader of the Euro Roma party.
The arrested suspects are Lyubomir Iliev-Kadraviq (The Curly), and brothers Georgi Goranov and Vasil Granov. The probe and the detention stem from a confession of a citizen of the former Soviet Republic of Georgia that he had been contracted by Iliev to execute the murders.
On Thursday, the three suspects were officially charged with an assassination plot against Varbanov, Kanchev and Yanev.
Before the start of the Court session, a large group of Roma – the accused, their friends and relatives, started screaming and shouting that the whole story had been made up and the truth will eventually emerge. They insisted they were "regular people from the Roma minority."
The brawl blew out of proportion when some of the Roma started a fight among each other and the Court security failed to calm them down. The group was eventually pushed out of the courtroom and building, and they went on to continue with the shouting on the street.
Roma clan leader Kiril Rashkov, aka Tsar Kiro, was found to have been their accomplice in the preparations for the killings in the period June-September 2011.
Rashkov has not yet been officially charged because he is currently the subject of another trial which is to shed light on his involvement in the September 23 death of 19-year old Angel Petrov in the southern Bulgarian village of Katunitsa.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: 9 Months in Prison for a Man caught Driving Drunk for the Second Time
- » A Law will Prohibit the Sale of Nitrous Oxide or “Laughing Gas” to Minors in Bulgaria
- » Operation in Greece for the capture of Bulgarian Cryptoqueen Ruja Ignatova
- » Methamphetamine was found in the Blood of Semerdzhiev who Caused the Car Crash on July 5
- » Bulgaria: In One Day, Police caught 26 Drivers with Alcohol and 14 with Drugs in their Blood
- » Policewoman that Helped the Killer of 2 Girls in Sofia has been Temporary Removed from her Position