Earth Harrowed by Strongest Magnetic Storm in Years
An especially strong geomagnetic storm has started late in the night Sunday, according to the Russian Lebedev Physics Institute.
At the start of the storm, the amplitude of deviation of the magnetic field has jumped from degree 3 to degree 9 on the 10-degree scale.
The storm has continued through Saturday, writes RIA Novosti, but has significantly abated.
According to scientists, it is planetary and can be registered anywhere on Earth. They also have added that the proportions of the event were unexpected.
A geomagnetic storm of similar proportions has last been registered on December 15, 2006.
Geomagnetic storms are cause by eruptions in the sun which send a high masses of highly charged particles off from the star, causing disruptions in the Earth's magnetic field.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 7: Cloudy and Rainy Today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: A Powerful Storm Flooded Sofia
- » Bulgaria: Ticks Boom Across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Thunderstorms in Many Places in the Country on July 5
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Summer Storms with Thunder and Hail, Sunny on the Black Sea
- » Weather Today: Rainy Over Western Bulgaria, on the SeaCoast - Perfect for the Beach