Code Red for Wildfires Declared in Bulgaria's Haskovo Region
A code red, which the highest level of alert, over the danger of wildfires has been declared Tuesday in the southern Bulgarian region of Haskovo.
The Regional Directorate "Fire Safety and Protection of the Population" announced the measure is in connection with the mercury remaining steadily above the 35 degrees Celsius mark and the approaching pick of the wheat-harvesting.
Currently only one third of the wheat fields have been harvested, but there have been 17 fires already, which is near the number of those from the entire summer of 2010.
Farmers, who set fires on purpose on stubble-fields and have failed to secure the safety of their lands face fines of up to BGN 2 000.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Yellow and Orange Wind Codes in almost all of Bulgaria
- » Owner of Patagonia Donated All Profits to Save the Planet
- » Yellow Code for Strong Winds in 12 Regions of Bulgaria for September 12
- » More than 3000 Lightnings fell in an hour in Bulgaria - Stara Zagora and Karlovo are Flooded
- » Bulgaria is Threatened with a Fine of an Eight Figure Sum in Euros because of Landfills
- » Because of the Climate, the US Senate approved the "Biggest Investment in History"