Code Red for Wildfires Declared in Bulgaria's Haskovo Region
A code red, which the highest level of alert, over the danger of wildfires has been declared Tuesday in the southern Bulgarian region of Haskovo.
The Regional Directorate "Fire Safety and Protection of the Population" announced the measure is in connection with the mercury remaining steadily above the 35 degrees Celsius mark and the approaching pick of the wheat-harvesting.
Currently only one third of the wheat fields have been harvested, but there have been 17 fires already, which is near the number of those from the entire summer of 2010.
Farmers, who set fires on purpose on stubble-fields and have failed to secure the safety of their lands face fines of up to BGN 2 000.
- » Will the Weather in Bulgaria Surprise us Next Week?
- » Mount Etna WAKES UP
- » 5.3 Magnitude Earthquake Was Registered in Greece
- » It will be mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Isolated Showers and Thunder Possible
- » Mostly Sunny Weather Today, Highs between 27C and 32C
- » Sunny Today, Scattered Showers and Thunder