Dozens of Bulgarians Protest Belene NPP on Chernobyl Eve
About 100 Bulgarians gathered to the construction site of Belene NPP Monday, one day before the anniversary of the Chernobyl NPP disaster on April 26, 1986.
Protesters described the Belene NPP project as a "factory for lies and corruption and a Trojan horse for Russian interests in Bulgaria."
They also asked for more transparency on the project, including information regarding its economic effectiveness, and argued that the NPP is actually not needed.
Eco-activists also raised worries about the the disposal of the waste for the possible future NPP.
They also underscored the need to thoroughly revise nuclear energy policy after the disaster at the Japanese Fukushima NPP.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Ticks Boom Across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Thunderstorms in Many Places in the Country on July 5
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Summer Storms with Thunder and Hail, Sunny on the Black Sea
- » Weather Today: Rainy Over Western Bulgaria, on the SeaCoast - Perfect for the Beach
- » Weather in Bulgaria, July 2: Sunny and Warm, Temperatures Up to 35 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Temperatures Up to 36 Degrees on July 1