Huge Wild Fire Rages near Bulgaria's Bansko Resort
A huge wild fire is reported Sunday between the villages of Gostun and Osenovo in the municipality of Bulgaria's mountain resort of Bansko.
The fire broke around 5 pm Saturday, Mayor Alexander Kravarov, has informed.
2 000 decares of forests have been whipped off. The fire continues to burn, but has been localized with seven fire trucks and a large number of firefighters still trying to extinguish it. A helicopter with water is expected to join in later during the day.
Residents of the nearby villages are not in danger anymore. There are no reports of building damage.
About 150 firemen and local volunteers from the towns of Razlog and Bansko have taken part in the action, working until 10 pm Saturday and resuming the effort at 5 am Sunday. The strong wind created additional difficulties in taming the blaze.
- » Yellow Code for Heavy Rains and Thunder in 16 Districts in Bulgaria
- » NIMH: Code Yellow Warning For Heavy Rain with Thunder and Hail
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures between 23°C and 28°C
- » The EC Creates an Air Fleet to Combat Fires
- » Experts Say the Ocean Level May Rise 2m by the End of the Century
- » Bear Cub Visited a Private Yard of a House in Kladnitsa, Western Bulgaria (Video)