Pink Flamingo Spotted near Bulgaria's Burgas
A pink flamingo - a rare visitor to Bulgaria - has been spotted over the weekend near Bulgarian Black Sea major city of Burgas.
The lone bird has been spotted in the Atanasovsko Lake north of Burgas, announced the Bulgarian Society for the Protection of Birds Tuesday.
Apart from the Black Sea, the city of Burgas sports three major sweetwater lakes near joined with the sea - Mandra, Vaia and Atanasovsko - which makes it an attractive spot for wild birds, especially during the period of migration.
The Society for the Protection of Birds commented that the sighting is unusual, since the pink flamingo usually travels in huge flocks.
Pink flamingos were seen in Bulgaria for the last time five years ago, when 3 birds from the species were sighted south of Burgas.
In Europe, the usual sites inhabited by the pink flamingo are in France and Spain.
- » Coal-fired Power Plants of the Western Balkans Cost Bulgaria up to EUR 700m a Year
- » March with Temperatures and Rainfall in the Norms, Predict Weather Forecasts
- » Dangerously Dirty Air in the Big Cities in Bulgaria
- » NIMH: Sunny Weather, Maximum Temperatures Between 11°C and 16°C
- » Mostly Sunshine Today in Bulgaria, Warm Day with Highs between 13-18°C
- » 14 Tonnes of Toxic Waste Dumped in the Yana Station Area in Sofia - is there a Danger to People?