Bulgaria Environment Minister: GMO Act Changes Are Safe
Bulgaria Environment Minister, Nona Karadzhova, has stated that the new changes in the Law on Genetically Modified Organisms will not threaten the environment or human health.
Karadzhova, speaking after recent protests against the proposed changes to the GMO Act, said “we are totally against the introduction of GMOs.” Shae added that the new law only applies to laboratory tests and GM Crop field trials.
Karadzhova continued that the Health Minister, Bozhidar Nanev, has ordered a public register to be created in which all authorizations for GMO cultures in the European and Bulgarian markets are recorded.
Karadzhova concluded that no farmers had yet shown interest in GM crop trials. She also promised to order an examination into whether the area around Doborslavtsi near Sofia is contaminated by GM Crops.
- » Clear Sky until Noon, some Clouds later Today in East Bulgaria, Highs Between 14-19°C
- » Cloudy Skies with Rain this Afternoon in some Regions of Bulgaria
- » Earthquake Measuring 4.9 Shakes France
- » The Astronomical Spring is Coming
- » Spring Cleaning Campaign in Sofia Begins
- » Sunshine until Noon, Rain Showers later on in some Places in South Bulgaria