Bulgarian Army Scraps Russian Arms, Goes Western
The Bulgarian Army is entering a phase in which it will get rid of its Russian-made weaponry, and will gradually replace it with Western arms.
This has been announced by Valeri Ratchev, head of the cabinet of Defense Minister, Nikolay Mladenov, during a conference on security and defense in the Military Academy in Sofia.
Ratchev said the replacement of Russian arms would start from the small detachments such as the Bulgarian contingents who participate in international missions abroad. However, he did not make it clear whether the Defense Ministry was planning to scrap the AK 47 “Kalashnikov” as well.
In addition to the Russian-made arms, the Bulgarian armed forces also have German transport vehicles, Italian transport planes, Belgian frigates, helicopters from Eurocopter, and several US-made hammer and armed vehicles.
Ratchev said the Defense Ministry was to focus on the economic efficiency of its military orders.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria is negotiating the Purchase of second-hand Fighter Jets
- » Ukraine asked Bulgaria for Heavy Weapons - the Caretaker Government Refused
- » The Army has Increased the Intelligence and Surveillance in the Eastern Part of Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Partial State of Emergency Declared due to Migrant Pressure
- » Defense Minister: There is a Risk to Bulgaria's Security but No Direct Threat after Putin declared Mobilization
- » Bulgaria: 12 Arrested after a Bust on Migrant Trafficking Ring – May be Connected to the Tragedy in Burgas