Protester Elected Mayor in Sofia Neighborhood
Desislava Ivancheva has won nearly 65% of the votes in Mladost neighborhood of Bulgaria's capital Sofia, set to become its next mayor, official results show.
Bulgaria held a mayoral election in Mladost alongside the presidential one as Ivancheva, an activist, defied incumbent mayor Tsveta Avdzhieva, from main ruling GERB party over the way the latter was running the neighborhod, including green spaces and construction issues.
"This is not a vote for me, this is a vote for the cause, for Green Mladost," she has told the Bulgarian National Radio.
- » Vidin - Calafat Danube Bridge Will be Temporarily Closed
- » No Agreement on Role of Proposed Anticorruption Body
- » About 30% of Children in Refugee Centers go to School
- » BGN 80 Million is the Budget for Road Cleaning during the Winter
- » Bulgaria Media Still Under Political Pressure
- » Residents of the Mladost Quarter of Sofia Protest Because of Lack of Lighting