Bulgaria Detains 56 Migrants Trying to Illegally Cross Into Serbia
Bulgarian border police have detained 56 foreign nationals who attempted to illegally cross into Serbia over the past 24 hours.
Twenty-one Afghan nationals and five Syrians were found crammed into three passenger cars stopped for inspection by police on the road leading to Kalotina checkpoint on the border with Serbia on Wednesday.
Twenty-three of the foreign nationals have been registered with the State Agency for Refugees seeking protection in Bulgaria, the Interior Ministry said in a statement on Thursday.
The three car drivers were charged with people trafficking.
Another 19 Afghan nationals and 11 Pakistanis were detained in the area close to the border with Serbia. Most of them were registered with the State Agency for Refugees.
Border police have also thwarted seven attempts to cross the border into Bulgaria from Turkey, in which a total of 114 irregular migrants were involved, over the past 24 hours, the Interior Ministry added.
- » EC Survey: Bulgaria in the Top 3 of the Most Racist Countries in Europe
- » Meglena Kuneva is Nominated for a New Position in Brussels
- » According to New Research, Bulgaria is the Laziest Nation in the EU
- » Bulgaria will Lose BGN 70 Million from the EU for Education and Science
- » The President Rumen Radev to Meet the Vice-President of the European Commission
- » The Minister of Transport and Information Technologies to Work for 5G Mobile Network in Bulgaria