Bulgarian Authorities Detain 22 Afghan Migrants, Four Smugglers Near Plovdiv
Bulgarian police officers detained 22 migrants from Afghanistan and four suspected smugglers on Wednesday morning.
The authorities first stopped a car for inspection in the area of the 119th kilometre of Trakia motorway near Plovdiv.
Nine Afghans were uncovered in the car. Shortly after that, another thirteen Afghans were found in a minibus. Among the migrants were children aged 15 and 16.
Another car, which was traveling in front of the two vehicles carrying the migrants, is believed to have acted as an escort.
The drivers of the three vehicles and a companion traveling with them have been detained for up to 72 hours.
The district prosecutor's office in Plovdiv has charged the four men with unlawfully helping foreigners to stay in the country in order to gain material profit.
- » About 10 Cars Burn Down at a Parking Lot on Montevideo Str.
- » Man and Woman Detained For the Murder of the Taxi Driver in Varna
- » Taxi Driver Found Dead In His car in the Region of Varna
- » Customs Officers Found 3720 kg of Acetic Anhydride Hidden in Trucks Carrying Apples from Serbia to Iraq
- » Bulgaria’s Border Police Breakes Up Criminal Group Manufacturing Counterfeit Identification Documents
- » Airports and Nuclear Power Stations on Terror Alert