Bulgarian Police, Frontex Detain 24 Illegal Migrants, Two Smugglers
Officers from the regional directorate of border police in Dragoman and Frontex officials detained 24 illegal immigrants near the Bulgarian-Serbian border.
The authorities also detained two Bulgarian citizens, one of them with a criminal record, who were transporting the migrants.
The joint operation on countering illegal migration was carried out in the area of responsibility of the border police department in Kalotina in the period between April 5 and 10.
The two Bulgarians were driving a car and a minivan, which were used for transporting respectively nine and fifteen migrants.
Two of the foreigners presented a card issued by the State Agency for Refugees (DAB), while all the other were not in the possession of any identity documents. They identified themselves as coming from Afghanistan and Iraq.
According to preliminary information, the foreigners should have been smuggled out from Bulgaria to Serbia in exchange for a payment, which had been negotiated in advance.
- » At Least 14 Schoolchildren Injured as Bus Overturns in Northern Greece
- » Erdogan Elected Leader of Turkey's Ruling Party
- » Romania Аpproves Financial Support for Holocaust Survivors
- » Greek Parliament Approves New Austerity Measures
- » EU to Deploy 100 Election Observers to Kosovo
- » Tear Gas Fired at Greek Anti-Austerity Protest