Bulgaria Police Detain 45 Illegal Migrants in Burgas Region
Bulgarian police have detained 45 illegal migrants and five Bulgarian citizens who transported them in three separate cases in the southwestern Burgas Region on Tuesday.
Thirty-one foreign nationals, all of them claiming to be of Afghan origin, had been found inside a van during police inspection in Zidarovo village near Sozopol, the Ministry of the Interior said in a statement on Wednesday. Two Bulgarian nationals, including the driver of the van, were also detained.
Nine men, claiming to be citizens of Afghanistan and Pakistan, were detained in a passenger car after a police chase near one of the neighbourhoods of Burgas city. The Bulgarian driver of the car and another Bulgarian male, who drove a second car escorting it, were also arrested.
In the third case, police found five illegal migrants in a car stopped for inspection at a road checkpoint on the outskirts of Burgas. The Bulgarian driver was also detained.
Police have launched an investigation on charges of people smuggling against the five Bulgarian nationals, according to the statement.
- » Gallup International: Five+One Party Could Enter Parliament
- » President Rumen Radev: Bulgaria Does Not Give or Accept Lessons on Democracy
- » Border Checkpoints With Turkey Blocked Again By Protests Due to "Voting Tourism''
- » Seven Agencies to Make Exit Poll on the Day of Snap Elections in Bulgaria
- » Farm Protests are Expected Again in Various Parts of Bulgaria
- » New Europe: EU Sees Transport Investment Opportunities in Bulgaria