Turkish Authorities Detain 293 Illegal Immigrants at Border with Bulgaria
The Turkish gendarmerie in the border town of Kirklareli detained 293 illegal immigrants in the past five days.
The refugees were uncovered near the Bulgarian-Turkish border in the forest next to the town of Demirkoy from where they intended to cross into Bulgaria and other European countries.
The authorities detained five people as organisers of a channel for human trafficking across the border.
The detained immigrants have been handed over to the directorate on migration, daily Dnevnik informs.
Another incident involving refugees occurred at a border checkpoint between Greece and Macedonia on Monday.
A group of illegal immigrants attacked the Macedonian border police with stones and bottles.
Three of the attackers - Syrian citizens were detained.
Just in the space of a month, 40 000 people entered into Macedonia.
- » Erdogan Says Turkey will Review EU Ties ‘From A to Z’
- » Erdogan Accuses Bulgaria of Unacceptable Pressure on Turks Before Elections
- » Ankara Gives 11 Days Leave to Outmigrants for Bulgaria's Elections
- » Erdogan: No European Anywhere Will Now Be Safe
- » Gruevski: Foreign Ambassadors, States Intervene in Macedonia
- » Prosecutor's Office: No Bulgarian Citizens To Be Extradited to Turkey