Bulgaria to Complete Fence at Border with Turkey by End of Year
Bulgaria's Interior Ministry Chief Secretary Georgi Kostov announced on Friday that the fence at the border with Turkey should be completed by the end of the year.
Kostov added that legislative amendments have been proposed, which would allow for the army to guard the border, Darik radio reports.
According to him, the construction of the new section of the fence will start in the beginning of July.
As regards the long-proposed idea for the army to help Border Police in guarding the border, the Interior Ministry has developed a legislative initiative.
The proposal foresees the adoption of law on crisis management, which would allow for armed forces to serve in these critical zones.
Kostov clarified that at present no such legal opportunity existed.
Bulgaria began the construction of a fence along its border with Turkey in an attempt to deal with the influx of refugees.
Additionally, numerous police officers have been posted to the border, but this measure has proven inefficient, which has led to the recurring idea of stationing troops to help border police.
- » US Fighters have Intercepted Two Russian Strategic Bombers near Alaska
- » Near Our Border with Turkey 37 Migrants Were Caught While They Were Trying to Cross It without Any Documents
- » Karakachanov: Our Army Is Not Just For Parades
- » The Military Parade for the Celebration of the Bulgarian Army
- » CNN: US Navy Re-establishes Second Fleet amid Russia Tensions
- » British Jet Fighters will Patrol the Black Sea