Bulgaria to Complete Fence at Border with Turkey by End of Year
Bulgaria's Interior Ministry Chief Secretary Georgi Kostov announced on Friday that the fence at the border with Turkey should be completed by the end of the year.
Kostov added that legislative amendments have been proposed, which would allow for the army to guard the border, Darik radio reports.
According to him, the construction of the new section of the fence will start in the beginning of July.
As regards the long-proposed idea for the army to help Border Police in guarding the border, the Interior Ministry has developed a legislative initiative.
The proposal foresees the adoption of law on crisis management, which would allow for armed forces to serve in these critical zones.
Kostov clarified that at present no such legal opportunity existed.
Bulgaria began the construction of a fence along its border with Turkey in an attempt to deal with the influx of refugees.
Additionally, numerous police officers have been posted to the border, but this measure has proven inefficient, which has led to the recurring idea of stationing troops to help border police.
- » Belgian Fighters Escort Russian Bombers Across the North Sea
- » Sweden to Make a State Agency for the Psychosocial Protection of the Population
- » Japan will Join NATO's Center for Cyber-defense in Tallinn
- » France Foils 20 Planned Terror Attacks in 12 Months
- » Xi Jinping Called on the Army to be Ready for War
- » In 2016 the Authorities in Edirne Managed to Capture 50,000 Migrants in an Attempt to Illegally Transfer to Bulgaria and Greece