Bulgarian Police Detain Ten Syrian Illegal Migrants, Alleged Trafficker
The Bulgarian police detained early on Sunday a group of ten Syrian illegal migrants, as they were traveling through the territory of the region of Stara Zagora.
The illegal migrants were uncovered in the cargo compartment of a van. The driver of the vehicle was also detained.
The vehicle was spotted by a crew of traffic police officers in the village of Sredets in the Stara Zagora district, daily Standart reports.
The driver and the passengers have been detained for 24 hours and the investigation should establish whether the driver is connected to any of the human trafficking schemes.
The Syrian citizens, who had crossed the border illegally, will be sent to some of the refugee accommodation centres.
This is the third group of illegal migrants, which has been detained in the district of Stara Zagora in April.
Last week, the Bulgarian police detained seventeen illegal migrants after their vehicle was involved in a road accident on Trakia Motorway near the town of Chirpan.
In the beginning of April, another fourteen migrants, who had crossed the Bulgarian border illegally, were detained.
At the first sitting of the district security council last week, the chief of the Stara Zagora police department Ivan Cholakov admitted that since the beginning of the year the trafficking of illegal migrants in the region has increased compared to 2014.
- » Record Amount of Heroin Seized at Bulgarian-Romanian Border
- » The Man Injured During the Incident in Sofia’s Vitosha District Has His Life in Danger
- » 57-year-old Man Detained For the Murder of Two People in Sofia’s Vitosha District
- » Two Turkish Citizens Arrested for Drug Distribution in Special Police Raid
- » The Virus WannaCry Affected Computers In Sofia and Varna
- » Two Professors at University of Food Technologies Arrested For Racketeering