Meteorite Falls in Central Bulgaria
A meteorite has landed in the Sredna Gora mountain near the town of Sopot, in Central Bulgaria.
Locals reported seeing bright lights just before 19:00 EET (17:00 GMT) followed by rumbles and smoke, according to Novinite's Bulgarian-language website.
Some witnesses claim the fireball looked "the size of a washing machine" while making its way downwards.
But Sopot Mayor Veselin Lichev told private national channel TV7 that "it was a small piece of a rock... It fell somewhere in Sredna Gora and we will not be able to find it."
Lichev ruled out that it could set anything ablaze, since there have been no reports of a fire in the past 15 hours.
- » The Municipality of Sofia will Plant a Forest near Suhodol
- » Mostly Sunny Weather with Temperatures of up to 22-27°C
- » NIMH: Mostly Sunny Today with Temperatures of Up to 22-27°C
- » Those who Died in the California Fires are Now 42
- » Xi Jinping: China will Fight to Stop Climate Change
- » NIMH: Fog in Some Areas in the Morning, Maximum Temperatures 22-27°C