Meteorite Falls in Central Bulgaria
A meteorite has landed in the Sredna Gora mountain near the town of Sopot, in Central Bulgaria.
Locals reported seeing bright lights just before 19:00 EET (17:00 GMT) followed by rumbles and smoke, according to Novinite's Bulgarian-language website.
Some witnesses claim the fireball looked "the size of a washing machine" while making its way downwards.
But Sopot Mayor Veselin Lichev told private national channel TV7 that "it was a small piece of a rock... It fell somewhere in Sredna Gora and we will not be able to find it."
Lichev ruled out that it could set anything ablaze, since there have been no reports of a fire in the past 15 hours.
- » Mostly Sunny Weather Today With Max Temperatures Around 29°
- » One of the Main Priorities of the Bulgarian Ministry of Environment and Waters is Clean Air
- » Over 800 Victims of Floods in India, Nepal and Bangladesh
- » Devastating Tornado went Through Chinese City
- » NIMH: Yellow Warning Code For Strong Wind For the Entire Black Sea Coast
- » Earthquake Strikes Italian Island of Ischia, Killing at Least 2