Bulgaria Detains 44 Illegal Migrants at Border with Romania
Bulgarian border police have detained 44 illegal migrants from Syria and Iraq trying to cross into Romania, bTV reported on Wednesday.
The migrants were discovered hidden in a Bulgarian-registered truck at the border checkpoint at the Ruse-Guirgiu bridge over the Danube around 2 am local time.
According to the cargo manifest, the truck was carrying apples to the Czech Republic. The truck driver is a Czech citizen.
The illegal migrants were trying to reach Austria. Thirty-nine of them were from Syria and five were from Iraq, bTV said.
The group included three children aged 14-16, eight women and 33 men.
Nine illegal migrants from Afghanistan were detained at the same border checkpoint on Tuesday afternoon.
- » Man, 64, 'shot his 42-year-old wife in Sofia
- » Daughter of Tsvetan Vassilev Charged with Money Laundering
- » 1658 Liters of Illegal Alcohol was Detained on the Black Sea Coast
- » Macedonian Customs Officers Detained Bulgarian Car with 22kg Marijuana
- » A British Court Sentenced Bulgarian Heroin Trafficker to 14 Years in Prison
- » A US Student will go to Jail Because of Faked Voter Lists